[Vm-dev] Re: UUID as internal (was 4.0.3.2196 for Unix)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Apr 13 12:05:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 08:12:26AM +0200, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 1:36 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >
> > Can you confirm that the bug does *not* exist when you build the plugin
> > as internal, and that it *does" exist if you build it external on the
> > same platform. It would be a big help to know if this is the case.
> >
> > My impression up until now is that this is a bug in the runtime libuuid
> > library, and that it has something to do with running a program with
> > pthreads (i.e. it does not happen with a simple test program). But I
> > have never actually seen the bug on my own system, so I'm guessing based
> > on some google searches and the information that I read on the Pharo list.
>
> I have just built last release (Squeak-4.0.3.2200-src.tar.gz) with UUID as
> internal and it works like a charm. All Pharo 1.0-RC4 tests green ! Thank
> you all.
>
> So there's a real problem when UUID is external.

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for the update. I added this to the Mantis 7358 issue also.

I have one more request if you have the time. Could you please download
Ian's latest build to your system, and try running the Pharo test using
Ian's build? The reason that I ask is that neither Ian nor I can reproduce
the UUID bug on our computers.  So if you can run Ian's VM on your computer
without problems for the UUID bug, this would indicate that it is safe
to distribute the VM with the internal UUID plugin for Squeak users.

You can download the VM from:
  http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.0.3.2200-linux_i386.tar.gz

You do not need to install Ian's VM to test it, just unpack it into a
temporary directory, and run it from the temporary directory.

  $ tar xzvf Squeak-4.0.3.2200-linux_i386.tar.gz
  $ cd Squeak-4.0.3.2200-linux_i386/bin/squeak
  $ ./squeak ../../pharo.image

Thanks a lot, this is a big help :)