[Vm-dev] Running Alien on Windows

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Apr 21 04:23:36 UTC 2010

Hi Torsten -

Thanks for cc-ing vm-dev; I wouldn't have seen this post otherwise. I've
actually looked at the code since and there's some good news here: It
appears that there's no actual modification of the Windows support code
necessary to use Alien. The only difference is a flag in sqWin32Window.c
which for all intents and purposes appears to be completely unused.

That leaves the question of how to deal with the patches to the VMMaker
code base. As you know, my "official" VMs are always built from the
"official" sources (i.e., the latest VMMaker package on
http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker.html) and if you'd like to help
getting Alien support into the standard builds we should figure out how
to integrate these patches.

Perhaps David and/or Eliot can help? From my perspective this issue
doesn't really belong with the Windows VM but rather with the VMMaker
package. I just build whatever is in there, so if Alien support is in,
then I'll build it together with everything else.

Cheers,
   - Andreas