[Vm-dev] Re: Problem compiling Mac VM

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 12:16:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 2:12 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 09:11:55PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
> >
> > On 4/29/2010 8:51 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > >I suspect that you have discovered some combination of platform
> > >sources, configuration files, etc that breaks this, but the intent
> > >was to make the change in such a way as to provide backward
> compatibility
> > >even if all of the various platform sources were not updated
> immediately.
> >
> > And to be honest, I think that's a mistake. It leads people to
> > implementing protocols only partially. For example, I hadn't even
> > noticed that John added ioMicroseconds(). If the compile had generated
> > an error, I would have fixed it and moved on. The way it's now we
> > shipped 4.0.1 with a broken microseconds clock. I don't like that.
>
> I see your point. From my point of view, it's nice to be able to
> add support for something that one person needs (e.g. microsecond
> timers) without requiring agreement from everyone else. And to some
> extent I'm trying to avoid the inevitable "I just loaded the latest
> VMMaker and now I can't compile a VM" questions.

Actually I don't want to download and compile the latest VMMaker code. I
just needed to migrate my code to a new image, and try to load VMMaker again
(not even the last) but the same metacello version than before. There I had
a problem because B3DAcceleratorPlugin was removed from Ballon and put in
some other place (I think VMMaker). Then, I didn't know how to change my C
code that I had download from SVN to adapt it (it was failing as I didn't
have the c code of such plugin). Thus, I had to download the latest code.

Thanks

Mariano