[Vm-dev] Question about dragging an image into the vm in Windows

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Apr 30 22:27:48 UTC 2010

On 4/30/2010 2:58 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de
> <mailto:andreas.raab at gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/30/2010 5:11 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>         The ideal would be: if I have defined a image in the file, to be
>         allowed
>         to drag another one. Of course, the one I drag should be used
>         and set as
>         systemAttribute 1.
>
>         Do you know how can I do that? is this fixable ?
>

>     I don't understand what you're asking for. The current handling
>     makes it so that if you're in a deployment setting with the
>     ImageFile attribute set, then the VM will pass the argument to the
>     image where it's been processed. This is so that one can support
>     file type associations where users can simply double click documents
>     to open them (drag and drop functions the same way).
>

> What I am saying is the following: if you define an image in the .ini
> file and then try to drag and drop another image to the .exe (the vm)
> then an error is raised in the image (the one that is defined in the ini
> file). I wish that instead of loading the image of the ini file and
> raise an error, that it loads the image I dragged and dropped. The same
> as if there were any image defined in the .ini file.

I see what you're saying. It's an interesting idea but currently not
supported. Like I was saying the ImageFile feature is provided for
deployment scenarios not for development, i.e., the idea is to pretend
there's "just" the executable which in every respect behaves like an
application.

If you wanted to implement your idea I would suggest to create a new
entry instead of ImageFile, perhaps named DefaultImage. It's meaning
would be to "launch the specified image if no image is specified". This
way one can decide whether to use a "strictly sealed" application or a
more developer-oriented usage like you're asking for.

Cheers,
   - Andreas