[Vm-dev] getVMParameters broken

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 21:22:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Henrik Johansen <
henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no> wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2010, at 2:39 53PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > In recent VMs (Mac and Unix), SmalltalkImage current
> vmStatisticsReportString is broken, in that it returns nonsense data for GC
> times:

> > GCs                           1,145,798 (84ms between GCs)
> >       full                    3914 totalling 723,736,998ms (755.3%
> uptime), avg 184909.8ms
> >       incr            1141884 totalling 248,056,609ms (258.9% uptime),
> avg 217.2ms
> >       tenures         14,222 (avg 80 GCs/tenure)
> > Since last view       72 (49ms between GCs)
> >       uptime          3.5s
> >       full                    0 totalling 0ms (0.0% uptime)
> >       incr            72 totalling 15,110ms (426.1% uptime), avg 209.9ms
> >       tenures         0
> >

> > primitiveVMParameter in the most recent version of VMMaker package was
> changed. Does the image-side code need to be adapted or is this a bug in the
> primitive?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Adrian
> It's been changed to a microsecond clock value in recent VM's on Unix/Mac.

Is this really the case?  If so, I think it is completely unnecessary.  In
the Cog VM I also use microseconds to sum GC times but when they are
answered through getVMParameters they are converted to milliseconds
(dividing by 1000 is not hard to do).  So why change the external interface
of the primitive when so much existing code depends on it?

confused,
Eliot