[Vm-dev] Re: Cog build fails on 10.6

Henrik Sperre Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Thu Aug 12 17:52:25 UTC 2010

  On 12.08.2010 19:31, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Hi Henrik,
>
>     see the thread [Vm-dev] Error compiling cog for MacOS 10.6 round
> about July 30th.
>
> HTH
> Eliot
>
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Henrik Johansen
> <henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no <mailto:henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no>>
> wrote:
>
>     In sqUnixVMProfile.c, it fails on include of ucontext.h , it's
>     deprecated and (as long as you're not using the functions, as
>     implied by the "to get register defines in sys/ucontext.h"
>     comment) sys/ucontext.h should be included instead.
>
>     Googled a bit, and it seems RedHat 7.3 throws a fit instead if you
>     do that though...
>     http://code.google.com/p/google-perftools/issues/detail?id=218
>
>     Any change of a workaround? ;)
>
>     Cheers,
>     Henry

Ah yes, I missed your post there and just remembered the conclusion as
"Use 10.5 as platform". :/

My point was, it's just the context manipulation functions
(get/set/make/swap) in ucontext.h which are deprecated.
The ucontext struct and its fields, defined in sys/ucontext.h (and used
in histogramSIGPROFhandler), is not.

Thus I fail to see why one would have to find an entirely new way to do
this on OSX (or if one even exists), instead of changing the include.

Cheers,
Henry