[Vm-dev] About the image

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Aug 17 11:03:02 UTC 2010

On 17.08.2010, at 09:11, Nicolás Paez wrote:

> Hi, I have just began to work at this low level and I have 2 questions:

Nice. But you need to give us a little more context. What are you trying to do?

> - What is the minimal object structure I should implement from VM perspective?

Normally you do not have to implement this, as the interpreter is shared between all platforms.

> - Where are defined the 3 formats of objects representation?

Not sure what you mean. ObjectMemory>>formatOf: defines the class format bits in the header.

Or do you mean the 3 header formats? Read the class comment of ObjectMemory.

Also, there is a nice explanation in section A.1 of Tim's chapter in the NuBlue book:

http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/assets/OE-Tour.pdf

- Bert -