[Vm-dev] Reproducible way to crash Cog ( [Lsehub-staff] Strange behavior )

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 22:06:44 UTC 2010

On 8 December 2010 22:43, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Igor,
>     thanks for this.  Note to self: this is in ~/Squeak/PharoCore-1.2-12261
> BTW, you can try and build the debug VM and use that.  It has asserts
> built-in that may find the problem earlier.  The mvm script makes a
> Debug.app by default.

yeah, i will take a look at it tomorrow.
Benjamin's code mangling with compiled methods, and i don't know if
there are anything ok with it.
But anyways, if there are a chance to close the security hole, which
is uncovered by his code, we should do that :)

P.S. it is something really strange happening to Cog GC on Mac (or
maybe it is i too lucky) , remember my previous
problem with pow() function used inside fullGC(), which also leaded to
crash. Once i rewrote the code to use bit shifts,
it works normally.

It is always happen to newbie (being lucky), because they don't know
the rough corners of system and can discover something, which others
can't never discover, because they won't even think to do something
like newbie does, because they taught to do otherwise :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.