[Vm-dev] BMPReadWriterPlugin , do we really need it?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Dec 22 03:41:13 UTC 2010

On 12/21/2010 2:33 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> i just stumbled over it, and i thought that today, we don't really
> need such kind of cruft.

This ain't cruft. This is a 10x performance boost (even over Cog).

> It is just a two methods, and there is nothing essential, in it.

The plugin is absolutely essential for high-performance reading of
standard 24bpp BMP files.

> And i think that .bmp image format is really crappy format, which no
> one using today,

Very funny. Spoken like a true Macvocate. Outside of academics PCs still
play a pretty important role, and on Windows, BMP files are still the
standard.

> and given that we got Cog, it could run just a bit slower, if
> implemented in image w/o primitives.

Right. "Just a bit". 10x.

Cheers,
   - Andreas