[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] VMMaker metacello config for Squeak and Pharo

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Feb 6 15:43:32 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 09:57:30AM -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hi David -
>
> Let's be a bit careful before jumping heads-on into the Metacello
> frenzy. I don't mind if people choose to use Metacello to load VMMaker
> but it shouldn't be the only option. Myself for example, I use
> customarily a variety of images, none of which support or are supported
> by Metacello. It would not be good if we require Metacello to load VMMaker.

I understand and fully agree.

Personally I use a 3.8 image for most VMMaker work for exactly this
reason. If it works in Squeak 3.8 it usually works everywhere, modulo
a few annoyances like SmalltalkImage current, and with the recently
noted exception of Scratch ;)

I'm also happy to see the Metacello support, because it will make
VMMaker more accessible from images that do use Metacello.