[Vm-dev] Question about primitives

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 10:11:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 9:10 PM, John M McIntosh <
johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:

> http://www.squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/Mac%20OS/vm/Documentation/readme.txt?rev=1984&view=auto

Thanks John. I have been trying to follow your steps. They are pretty
accurate, however, I had some problems. I hope my newbie problems be of help
to update the documentation if required.

1)  I had to copy the src generated from VMMaker (which was generated by
default in the same directoy where the image is)  to svnSqueakTree/
>From your comments I think you let also the default src. So, in such case I
guess to need to do what I did (copy). I am right ?

In summary:  copy
/Users/mariano/Pharo/imagenes/Pharo1.0-10508-rc1dev10.01.1/src  to
/Users/mariano/Pharo/VM/svnSqueakTree/svnSqueakTree

2)  In step 6, A)  it says "Double-click the SqueakVMUNIXPATHS.xcodeproj
file"    which one ??  because at that time I have 3 of those files, as the
readme previously said to copy that file to the folder where "platforms" and
"src" are...So, I have 3 different SqueakVMUNIXPATHS.xcodeproj files.

I used the one of /Users/mariano/Pharo/VM/svnSqueakTree/svnSqueakTree

is this correct ? which should I use ?

3) In step 6, e) it says "From the Project menu pick the active build
configuration you want to use."
I noticed that there is an option "set active build configuration" and 3

3.a) I am intrigued in the differences of those 3. I mean, what is done
different in the compilation.

3.b) What is deploymentSymbols ?

3.c) Doing develoment, the VM is 2mb, but doing deployment is 3....is this
correct ??  I would expect the development be bigger that deployment

4.d) There is an incredible difference in speed. Development is MUUUUUUCH
more slow that production. This takes me to 3.a)   ;)

4)  No matter the "set active build configuration"  I couldn't make FreeType
to work. I open an image with TrueType, but I cannot see the fonts...But the
plugins are included when building the VM with VMMaker.
Do you now what can be the problem ?

Thanks for any tip!

Mariano