[Pharo-project] [Vm-dev] Re: Trying to build alien plugin in linux

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Feb 21 16:20:53 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 01:19:36AM +0100, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
> > So I think the current VMMaker build process is broken?
>
> In Squeak I get the expected line (using SlangBrowser and VMMaker-ar.158):
>  		addrSize = interpreterProxy->byteSizeOf((oopForPointer( socketAddress ) - 4));
>
> So I guess it's a Pharo issue.

It is definitely Pharo-related, but I can't quite spot the source of the
problem.

In a Pharo image:

  ObjectMemory baseHeaderSize ==> nil
  ObjectMemory bytesPerWord ==> nil

That is the reason for the incorrect code generation.

If you evaluate this, the object memory constants will be set up properly:

  ObjectMemory initializeWithBytesToWord: Smalltalk wordSize

At that point, I expect that the code generation problem will be probably
be fixed.

What I can't figure out is why this is not being initialized properly
in a Pharo image. I'm fumbling my way through this with a borrowed
computer (out of town this weekend, forgot to bring my laptop) and
limited expertise with Pharo, so maybe someone can figure it out from
the above clues.

HTH,