[Vm-dev] SystemTracer64 progress

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jan 12 03:55:41 UTC 2010

Over the weekend I made some progress in getting SystemTracer updated
to do 64-bit image tracing. Previously SystemTracer64 did not work on
little-endian machines (Mantis 5240). This is corrected now, and the
code is on SqueakSource in project "SystemTracing".

I can now trace a Squeak 3.10.2 image to 64-bit format on my Linux
AMD box (little endian), producing a runnable 64-bit image. For
an up to date Squeak trunk image, I can trace a 64 image that
loads and runs (display opens and things start working), but that
has problems with resuming its background processes (low space
watcher etc). Possibly it's related to the block closure changes,
although I believe there was an earlier report of a Pharo image
with block closures being successfully traced to 64 bit format.