[Vm-dev] Squeak VM release plan

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jan 13 16:22:04 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 02:10:14PM +0100, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Any plans for new Squeak VM release versions (Win32, Linux)?
>
> AFAIK this would automatically include Juans fix for transparent
> text supported (when dragging windows)?
>
> According to
> only John's beta 5.0 VM's for OSX has it included so far.

Andreas and Ian can answer here, but I'll mention that there are
some sound plugin changes in process, and possibly some updates
from John that should get attention, so after that round of changes
might be a good time to do a new build for the major platforms.
For planning purposes, I expect that the sound plugin updates
should be completed within the next couple of weeks.

> What's the overall (release) plan in 2010 for the VM's?

There is not a formal release schedule, but periodic new builds
as worthwhile functionality becomes available. Building, testing,
and releasing VMs is time consuming work, so unless the platform
maintainers speak up to say otherwise I don't think that working
to a formal schedule is a realistic expectation.

> Also any news on Coq or Alien, ...

None that I am aware of.