[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Numbered primitives in images

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sat Jan 16 16:33:30 UTC 2010

>>>>> "David" == David T Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> writes:

David> Question for Subbu: Is this an important issue may affect a large number
David> of Scratch users? In other words, are there kids trying to run Scratch,
David> and their Scratch image stops working properly after Squeak gets updated
David> to use a new VM?

As I recall, one of the interesting things about Scratch is that while
it was only "officially" supported on OSX and Windows, the user community
had figured out that it was just Squeak, and could be run with a Squeak
VM on other platforms, particularly Linux.

David> And a thought for the vm-dev list: I don't know if there might be a
David> technical solution to this, but it might be possible to use a strategy
David> in which the some of the old primitive lookups are preserved (at least
David> for the range 207 through 225) if and only if the image format is
David> pre-closures. Follow ups to this on vm-only.