[Vm-dev] Re: Numbered primitives in images

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jan 16 19:20:17 UTC 2010

The issue is now on Mantis:

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7454

Moving the closure primitives would be difficult at this point, as
we have a large installed base of closure-enabled images by now.

In principle, it should be possible to update the primitiveTable at
run time based on imageFormatVersion, or perhaps as an option to be
supplied to the VM at startup time, or a combination of the two.

Doing it automatically based on imageFormatVersion would probably
work, but has a catch-22 for someone adding closures to an older
image (e.g. adding the closure support to Etoys). For that situation
you want to be able to turn on closure support even though the image
does not yet need them, so perhaps e.g. a "-closures" command line
option turn on closure support in that case.

Any other ideas?

Dave