[Vm-dev] Re: Uploaded squeak-vm 3.11.3

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jan 27 17:41:26 UTC 2010

On 26.01.2010, at 16:54, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:27:54PM -0800, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> On 26.01.2010, at 12:01, Eliot Miranda wrote:

>>> I guess you're referring to NsVmMaker.ns1? That does not seem to be used by the regular build process. I guess it is invoked manually to regenerate the sources.
>>>
>>> Yes-ish, IIRC from a gnu make makefile.
>>

>> If so, it's not included in the source release. No makefile (or other build-related file) refers to "NsVmMaker".
>>
>> Thanks anyway :)
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

> Got to give Tim Rowledge some credit on this one folks. Given a known
> directory structure and a VMMaker configuration file saved from a
> VMMakerTool, the script for generating the source code is just this:
>
> (VMMaker forConfigurationFile: 'myConfig.config')
> 	deleteEntireGeneratedTree;
> 	generateEntire.
>
> VMMaker is also designed to be scriptable (i.e. controllable independent
> of the VMMakerTool interactive tool). See Tim's class comment for details.
>
> Dave

Maybe I didn't make myself clear :)

I know VMMaker is "scriptable" inside Squeak. What the OP was referring to was putting that translation step into a makefile. Which would need a tightly controlled setup of vm, image, and packages to work reliably. Which IMHO is too much trouble right now.

Maybe we just need to come up with a satisfying answer to the question raised in the bug report? It seems as if just describing how this was generated might be sufficient.

- Bert -