[Vm-dev] Multiprocessing with Squeak

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jan 29 13:41:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 02:17:46PM +0100, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Colin Putney wrote:
> >
> >I believe VW can do something like this - they call it "Shared Perm
> >Space." There's a special section of memory that's immutable, not subject
> >to garbage collection, and shared between several VM processes.
>
> After a bit of googling I found this:
> http://cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/runarj/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=Parallel_Execution_using_Multiple_VisualWorks_Images&entry=3348279474
> and it looks similar, though it doesn't describe what Shared Perm Space is.

I think this may be more or less that same thing I was trying to
demonstrate in the "poor man's multiprocessing" thread:
 http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-January/143841.html

The major difference seems to be that Cincom's implementation actually
works, whereas mine just crashed a lot of other people's Squeak images ;)