[Vm-dev] What generates disabledPlugins.c?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Wed Jul 21 18:41:24 UTC 2010

Ah, that leads me right to the problem. Thanks, Eliot!

OK, so first, the standard warning that I'm a clueless newbie, so please
forgive any silly questions.

It looks like this is what happens: when you run configure, lines 27296
- 27362 check to see if you're building vm-sound-OSS. If not, that
plugin's added to the variable disabled_plugins.

But later, lines 28696 - 28708 do the same thing. (Checkpoint 1)

Later on, that variable's turned into a file plugins.exc (for "except",
I guess).

mktarget then builds a disabledPlugins.c with duplicate entries for
those two plugins.

Going back to Checkpoint 1 above, configure itself looks like it's
generated by something (autoconf?) from configure.ac, which has special
cases for the Problem Plugins:

AC_ARG_WITH(vm-sound-OSS,
[  --without-vm-sound-OSS      disable OSS vm sound support
default=enabled]],
   [with_vm_sound_OSS="$withval"],
   [with_vm_sound_OSS="yes"])
if test "$with_vm_sound_OSS"="no"; then
        AC_PLUGIN_DISABLE_PLUGIN(vm-sound-OSS);
fi

So this and the corresponding chunk for vm-display-fbdev must be
commented out, and configure regenerated, and then presumably
disabledPlugins.c won't have duplications.

Now I'm happy to do the legwork here, but I've never touched autoconf or
m4 stuff in my life. Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

frank