[Vm-dev] What generates disabledPlugins.c?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 17:29:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 4:55 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 08:49:19PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> >
> > But the more serious issue is that the configure in VMMaker is only
> suitable
> > for linux.  I guess that the right thing to do for FreeBSD is to run make
> in
> > platforms/unix/config to generate a FreeBSD-specific configure.  But I'm
> out
> > of my depth when it comes to autoconf.
>
> Note that Ian moved to CMake for the unix builds, so autoconf is no longer
> used for building from the SVN trunk. In addition, Geoffroy Couprie has
> developed this further such that the VM can be built for both unix and
> Windows targets, see thread here:
>
>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-May/004574.html
>
> It's up to Ian and Andreas to say if they want to pursue this direction,
> but if you need the Cog build process to be more platform independent
> this would be a good thing to consider.

Personally I hate both autoconf and CMake with a passion.  They are very
confusing.  It was considerable effort to modify the autoconf setup to
compile Cog and I'm not motivated to put in the effort to convert the CMake
setup to also compile Cog.  But I'm not against it.  If some kind soul out
there who understands CMake wants to merge Ian's CMake into the Cog branch
and verify it can be used to build Cog then I'll look kindly on junking
autoconf and moving to CMake.  I'll happily integrate; just don't expect me
to do the hard work :)

cheers
Eliot