[Vm-dev] Re: Temp directory for Squeak

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Jun 12 17:31:41 UTC 2010

On 12.06.2010, at 17:20, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I propose that we add one more user directory to squeak - a volatile writable
> directory that can used for temporary files. On most hosts, temporaryDirectory
> will be mapped to RAM and not hard disk or flash memory. RAM has reduced I/O
> latency, power drain and wear/tear.

Would the VM be responsible for deleting that directory when it exits?

> mktemp family of calls can be used to create it (on first access) portably in
> both plugin code and in launch scripts.

What would mktemp have to do with this? You need to pass it the location, it just creates a unique file.

> One use case was its use to convert LaTeX code into images on the fly (cf
> LatexMorph) for typesetting Indic/Math text.
>
> We could use it for Squeakets, for caching large remote files, for dealing with
> A/V clips etc.
>
> Subbu

At least on the OLPC XO, the RAM-backed tmp folder may be as small as 1 MB:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Low-level_Activity_API#Writable_Directories

That does not seem sufficient for "large remote files" or video clips. Or even for larger Etoys projects, for that matter.

- Bert -