[Vm-dev] a Cog branch

Geoffroy Couprie geo.couprie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 08:05:30 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 6/24/2010 7:16 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> One user could create a project, then others may create forks or
>> subforks of his project(s)
>
> How exactly is this a good thing? I don't want 200 forked Squeak VM
> versions; I want one canonical source that people can build from.

Forks can be really useful for people who have to maintain a set of
patches that may not be accepted in the repository (applications
requiring a specific VM configuration, servers, etc). With the
branching workflows in DVCS, you can still get updates from the main
repository, develop new features in parallel, and maintain your
patches without impacting the rest of the developers.

With SVN, if you don't have commit access, you only have two
possibilities: store a lot of patches, and reapply them by hand at
each update, or use a dirty trick like git-svn. I'm using git-svn
right now: it is great to be able to commit locally, but it's a bit
heavy to use.