Forks (Re: [Vm-dev] a Cog branch)

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 09:35:14 UTC 2010

On Jun 25, 2010, at 1:56 AM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
>> But for the love of God, can we keep Cog in the same repository that we keep the rest of the Squeak VMs? Maybe we switch to Git or Mercurial for managing C sources eventually, but we should do it across the board. Squeak is (from the moment they decided to actually use the Blue Book sources as a starting point) a *reference implementation.* You really don't want more than one of those.
>
> Absolutely. Eliot's initial point was exactly that, i.e., decouple the discussion about a change in SCM from having a Cog branch. I don't think anyone is arguing that point.

Oh! I must have missed that part. Oops, that's embarrassing. If we're actually talking about migrating the sources out of SVN, why then I think I'm ambivalent about the whole thing:) Git was fun to work with, but I'm not really sure switching is worth the effort. It winds up being kind of a pain in the ass to get all of the bits out of the one repository and into the other, so it will really be a watershed event if we decide to do it.

I seriously need to drop this topic though, as I've violated Godwin's Law just by sending this message, and I hear they'll judge you in the hall of Osiris if you pull crap like that on a regular basis!