[Vm-dev] a Cog branch

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jun 25 12:14:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:18:19AM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> So I'm strongly in favor of switching to a DCVS. I personally only ever
> used git, but since hg supposedly has better x-platform support that
> would be fine too (the Windows devs should speak up). Wouldn't be
> opposed to bzr either.

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but I have to say that
right now would be a poor time to consider major changes to the
infrastructure unless there is a *truly* compelling reason to
do so. The reason is managing change overall - the Cog development
represents a huge opportunity, but it also implies a lot of new
things to understand and integrate, and new work to be done by
folks who will need to understand the changes. Performing a
simultanious migration to new version control and build processes
would likely lead to delays and disruption in the more important
objective of making progress on the VM.

I suggest that we focus on successful integration of Cog this year,
and consider moving to some new version control infrastructure at
a time when we are sailing on calmer waters.