[Vm-dev] I'll come in again...

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Mon Jun 28 02:15:18 UTC 2010

On 2010-06-27, at 12:02 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Having been clear on the initial point, my concern in this discussion is about *why* people seem to be excited about using an DVCS. What I'm hearing is "great, now we can fork" instead of "great, this will make it easier to contribute".

I think it's just a matter of terminology. Github has a "fork" button which lets you make a copy of somebody else's public project and set up a separate repository for your own work. Later you can contribute your changes upstream with the "merge" button. This was a really big deal in the Github community, because it made branching into a one-click operation.

So I wouldn't worry about it. After all, people have always been able to fork the VM. What's been missing, and what a DVCS provides, is a way to merge again after you've done so.

Colin