[Vm-dev] CCodeGenerator>>emitCHeaderOn:

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Mar 10 13:30:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 12:02:58AM -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I'd like to propose to REMOVE the inline definition of void error(char*)
> from CCodeGenerator>>emitCHeaderOn:.
>
> Rationale:
> Allow the support code to handle fatal errors and provide proper
> feedback. Currently a fatal error will cause the VM to silently quit
> instead of telling the user that a fatal error happened. It also
> prevents gathering additional information that the VM could other
> provide (such as the crash.dmp on Windows).
>
> Anyone opposed to that change?

No objection from me. If we find that we need backward compatibility
for support code that does not implement error(), I can add it
later (see the generated vm/interp.h for how John and I handled
it for sqImageFileReadEntireImage).

Please bump the VMMaker class>>versionString when you make the change.
Bert pointed out that we should start labeling new VMs as version 4,
so let's go ahead and make the next #versionString be '4.0.0'. That
will cause unix VMs to be labeled '4.0.0-2151'.