[Vm-dev] Alien on Win32 - License

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Mon Mar 15 14:45:35 UTC 2010

Hi Andreas,

see below. Is this enough to get it included?

Bye
T.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:10:30 -0800
Von: John M McIntosh <johnmci AT smalltalkconsulting.com>
An: Torsten Bergmann <astares AT gmx.de>
CC: eliot.miranda AT gmail.com
Betreff: Re: [OFFLIST] Alien on Win32 - Integration into VM Sources

Any source that is in the squeakvm  SVN tree for Alien is in theory under license as explained on the

http://www.squeaksource.com/Alien.html

Any source code I built for the VM is under MIT.

*most* of the files have copyright notices in them, some like sqMacFFI.s are historical VM files which have never had the license information updated to MIT.

*most* of the files in the Alien folder contain either statement or both.
/*
 * Some of this code is
 * Copyright 2008 Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
 *
 * Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the ''License''); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at  http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
 * Some of this code is

 //  Created by John M McIntosh on 12/2/08.

 Copyright (c) 2008 Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd. All rights reserved.
 MIT License

I can't speak for the Win32 implementation if it required additional files to compile and work on the Windows file.
But from the note it would appear the sqWin32Window.c is a merged existing VM file with work with Vassili work on Alien
So the license on the original sqWin32Window.c would be whatever Andreas says it is, with the additional Vassilli work as per the NewSpeak license statement.

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome