[Vm-dev] Re: Freetype plugin archive

laurent laffont laurent.laffont at gmail.com
Tue May 11 06:03:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 9:53 PM, laurent laffont <
> laurent.laffont at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> VMMaker class>>updateFromServer should now load FT2Plugin from the new
>>> FreetypePlugin repository. A similar update will be needed for
>>> ConfigurationOfVMMaker for Pharo.
>>>

>> Done  (version 1.4). All Pharo-1.0 tests green with last squeakvm
>> revision.
>>

> Hi Laurent. Thank you very much for tacking care. Now I was thinking: the
> ONLY way to correclty be able to reproduce a VM version we need not only the
> VMMaker side but also SVN. If 6 months from today, I try to load version 1.4
> with trunk, it won't work. I need to downloa an spceific SVN revision, as
> you write it in the commit comment. However, I was thinking that it would be
> great to put such information in the description: of Metacello. Not even the
> version (as the repo can change) but also the whole command. Not necesary
> while a verison is in #development but yes when it is realed. So, suppose I
> release 1.4 I can write:
>
> version14: spec
>     <version: '1.4' imports: #('1.4-baseline') >
>
>     spec for: #common do: [
>         spec blessing: #development.
>         spec description: '- Changed repository of TrueType
>                                - etc.....
>                                 Works with svn co
> http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/ -r 2203'.
>         spec
>             package: 'FFI-Pools' with: 'FFI-Pools-ar.1';
>             package: 'SharedPool-Speech' with: 'SharedPool-Speech-dtl.2';
>             package: 'VMMaker' with: 'VMMaker-dtl.170';
>             package: 'MemoryAccess' with: 'MemoryAccess-dtl.3';
>             package: 'SlangBrowser' with: 'SlangBrowser-dtl.3';
>             package: 'VMConstruction-Plugins-OSProcessPlugin' with:
> 'VMConstruction-Plugins-OSProcessPlugin-mtf.21';
>             package: 'VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin' with:
> 'VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-dtl.9';
>             package: 'VMConstruction-Plugins-XDisplayControlPlugin' with:
> 'VMConstruction-Plugins-XDisplayControlPlugin-dtl.7';
>             package: 'Balloon3D-Constants' with:
> 'Balloon3D-Constants-ar.5';
>             package: 'Balloon3D-Plugins' with: 'Balloon3D-Plugins-bf.5';
>
>             package: 'Freetype-Plugin' with: 'Freetype-Plugin-dtl.56';
>             package: 'FreeType' with: 'FreeType-tween.435'.
>     ].
>
>     spec for: #pharo do: [
>         spec blessing: #development.
>         spec
>             package: 'Alien-VMMaker-Support' with:
> 'Alien-VMMaker-Support-John M McIntosh.8';
>             package: 'Alien-VMMaker-Plugins' with:
> 'Alien-VMMaker-Plugins-John M McIntosh.8';
>             package: 'Sound' with: 'Sound-StephaneDucasse.47'.
>     ]
>

> Of course, this is just an example...
>
> what do you think ? I hope this will increase traceability between
> Smalltalk code and svn.

I think you're right. I will add this description.

Indeed, with easy_squeakvm script you have reproducibility (all is
automated, explicit svn rev. and ConfigurationOfVMMaker).

May be we can "translate" easy_squeakvm to Smalltalk so we can have an
EasySqueakVM package (or better name) which is cross platform.

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
http://magaloma.blogspot.com/