[Vm-dev] squeak 4.1 no mouse pointer in ubuntu 10.04

Wolfgang Eder edw at generalmagic.at
Tue May 11 21:28:00 UTC 2010

On 10.05.2010 12:07, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 10:57:51AM +0200, Wolfgang Eder wrote:
>>
>> hello,
>> i have installed squeak4.1 from
>> http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.0.3.2202-linux_i386.sh
>> (i had to do a sudo sh Squeak-4.0.3.2202-linux_i386.sh)
>> under ubuntu 10.04.
>> everything seems to work ok except i do not see a mouse pointer
>> when the cursor enters the window.
>> the mouse works ok, i can use world menu etc, just without
>> the pointer.
>>
>> can anybody give me a hint of what might be wrong?
>
> I have not ever heard of this happening, so I can't say what it
> might be. Can you say if the problem is associated with the VM
> or with the image? In other words, if you run some other Squeak
> image using this same VM, does it work? Or if you install a
> different version of the VM, does the Squeak 4.1 image work?
>
> Dave

i tried installing, using the ubuntu software center,
the official "Squeak" and "eToys" packages.
both give me the same behaviour as described in the
original bug report.
(the vm is in /usr/lib/squeak/3.11.3.-2147,
so i guess that is the vm version i am using).

i am using ubuntu 10.04 on an oldish sony vaio z600,
ca 600mhz cpu, 500mb ram

any help or hint is very much appreciated.
thanks,
wolfgang