[Vm-dev] [commit] r2203 - Update for Alien support. Set VM_PROXY_MINOR to 8. Requires interpreter

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu May 27 11:53:13 UTC 2010

Hi Javier,

The files in platforms/unix/src will not be updated at this time. They
are a snapshot of the generated sources from VMMaker, and they were
updated at the time that Ian last produced an official release on
http://squeakvm.org/unix.

So here is what you should expect:

- The files in platforms/unix/src will be updated the next time that
Ian builds a VM for release, but not before that time.

- If you use the latest SVN sources and the latest VMMaker to generate
your own ./src files, then you will usually be able to build a
working VM. But this is not guaranteed. Sometimes the platforms
sources and the VMMaker code may be out of sync, because parts of
the system may be under active development.

- If you use the latest SVN sources, and compile it using the sources
in platforms/unix/src, this will probably not work. If you are doing
this shortly after an official VM release, it probably will work, but
in general you will find that development has advanced and the older
platforms/unix/src files will no longer be in sync with the rest.

I know that this can be confusing, but keeping the copies of the older
files in platforms/unix/src is important for many people who may not
be comfortable using the VMMaker tool, or who may need to build their
VM from only from C sources some reason.

HTH,

Dave