[Vm-dev] RoarVM: The Manycore SqueakVM

ungar at mac.com ungar at mac.com
Sun Nov 7 01:47:06 UTC 2010

Back when I did Berkeley Smalltalk (early 1980's), I fretted a lot about incremental performance improvements to the interpreter.
Every few days I was able to get another few percent, as I recall. Then Peter and Alan did the first OO JIT ([Deutsch-Schiffman '84])
and it was so much faster than BS, it became clear to me that I didn't want to spend any more of my time optimizing an interpreter
when I could be adding a simple compiler instead. But that's just own experience.

 - David