[Vm-dev] VM packaging for Cog transition

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Nov 8 11:35:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 04:03:13AM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 7 November 2010 23:22, John M McIntosh
> <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm of the mind that Apple takes at the moment. Try the action and then deal with the
> > failure case. ?? I'd just ship with the Cog VM turned on. ??If people have problems with it
> > they can pursue how to turn it off. ?? Otherwise you'll not get people to migrate.
> >

> +1
> If people like to use older VM(s), they can always download them.

To be clear, the intent is to provide both Cog and the interpreter VM.
The question is how best to package this such that we deliver the benefits
of Cog, but also ensure that the system still works when a child opens
an older Etoys image after their teacher has installed the new VM. In
the near term at least, we also want to have a straightforward way to
answer the question "I tried to do XXX and it does not work, what should
I do?" in cases where XXX does not yet work on Cog.