[Vm-dev] VM packaging for Cog transition

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 00:25:55 UTC 2010

On 10 November 2010 00:40, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 11/9/2010 1:42 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm missing something. The current structure allows for the above. If
>>> you'd
>>> like to check out for example
>>> http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-4.1.1-src.zip you will
>>> see
>>> that the structure is -guess what- almost identical:
>>>
>>> platforms/
>>>        Cross/
>>>        Win32/
>>> winbuild/
>>>        src/
>>>

>> Huh? Are we talking about same things?
>
> Clearly we aren't, otherwise I wouldn't be so confused :-)
>
>> Take a look at our official SVN tree:
>>
>> http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/
>>
>> where winbuild?
>
> In platforms/win32/build. This is the proto-location and one can either
> build things in there or not. I choose to keep things separate but it's a
> choice I am making for my build setups. Others can make other choices.
>
>>> The generated sources are inside winbuild (for historical reasons) but
>>> they
>>> are *very* clearly separated from the hand-written stuff. I'm not sure
>>> why
>>> everyone is so excited about a layout that we already support?
>>
>> Yes. Except that if you check out from svn, there is no winbuild.
>> If you mean that you packaging a VM source (in zip archive) ,
>> and there it contains winbuild dir, this is different.
>> We are talking about version-controlled repository with good layout
>> from very starting.
>> No?
>
> I'm not sure what we are talking about. There appears to be an immense
> enthusiasm about the fact that - Lo and behold! - VMMaker can generate
> sources in different locations. What an amazing new insight :-)

hehe.. actually i were always using separate dir from very starting.
But on unixes its somewhat messy. For instance, i prefer to delete the
src subdir
to know clearly that during build i using right location of generated
sources, and not interfering with ones which come by default from SVN
(platforms/unix/src).

Since there is no point to keep multiple copies of generated sources
for each platform, i think they should be put
outside plarforms dir, into a separate (as Bert suggested) 'generated' dir.
So, then all platforms could use these files as a default location for
generated sources,
while of course we're free to use different one.

> Is this simply about checking the generated sources into SVN? Or the build
> setups? If so, let's just do that and get over it. It's a trivial little
> thing to do and really doesn't warrant this lengthy discussion. If not, then
> I'm still completely unclear what this discussion is supposedly about.

I'd prefer to have everything we need to be stored in SVN (err.. github ;) ),
so i just checking out, cd into some subdir, do make and voila.
'one click' for geek :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.