[Vm-dev] VM packaging for Cog transition

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Nov 10 01:43:20 UTC 2010

On 11/9/2010 4:25 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Since there is no point to keep multiple copies of generated sources
> for each platform, i think they should be put
> outside plarforms dir, into a separate (as Bert suggested) 'generated' dir.
> So, then all platforms could use these files as a default location for
> generated sources,
> while of course we're free to use different one.

Fine. I couldn't care less. If people want to check some version of the
generated sources into SVN, that's absolutely fine with me.

>> Is this simply about checking the generated sources into SVN? Or the build
>> setups? If so, let's just do that and get over it. It's a trivial little
>> thing to do and really doesn't warrant this lengthy discussion. If not, then
>> I'm still completely unclear what this discussion is supposedly about.
>
> I'd prefer to have everything we need to be stored in SVN (err.. github ;) ),
> so i just checking out, cd into some subdir, do make and voila.
> 'one click' for geek :)

You're not going to change the need for file releases. The idea that at
any given point you can just check out SVN head and get a functioning
build on all platforms has never been true in the past, and won't be
true in the future. Different people have different amounts of time for
working on the various aspects so head is expected to be a bit
problematic at any point in time. That's why we have file releases which
provide *exactly* what you are asking for. Download the file release
from http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-4.1.1-src.zip,
extract it, cd into the winbuild directory, type "make" and out pops a
shiny new VM. Whether the winbuild directory is SVN-backed or not,
matters little in this context.

Cheers,
   - Andreas