[Vm-dev] RE: To FFI or not to FFI

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Oct 4 18:56:58 UTC 2010

On 10/4/2010 11:16 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 4 October 2010 20:41, Andreas Raab<andreas.raab at gmx.de>  wrote:
>>
>> On 10/3/2010 8:50 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>>
>>> In saying that "port the vm and everything just works" you appear to be
>>> ignoring that the plugins have to be ported too.  Whether one tweaks and
>>> debugs(!!) Smalltalk or C, there will be things to port and fix.  I for one
>>> would much rather work out the details of a stubborn platform dependency in
>>> readily changed and debugged Smalltalk than C hidden away in the vm.
>>
>> Which in return assumes you have a functioning FFI to begin with. I've
>> pointed this out before and will do it again: One of the great portability
>> advantages of the Squeak VM is that it can be ported *without* requiring a
>> functioning FFI. All you need is a C compiler. There have been many ports
>> where an FFI was never implemented (Zaurus, PS/2, Android) and likely never
>> will be. The ability to port portions of domain code (sockets, files,
>> graphics) without being stopped by having to implement an FFI *first* is
>> what gets people going quickly.
>>

> In contrary, i think a first thing which should be ported is an FFI.

I'm not talking about what "should be ported" - I am talking about the
ports that actually *did* happen. This is practice, not theory. The
Android port would not exist if it had required an FFI port to begin
with (it still does not have an FFI). The Zaurus port would have never
happened (no concept of shared libraries), the PS/2 port neither.

In practice, there is a *huge* advantage for porting if all you need is
a C compiler and a bit of knowledge about the underlying OS support.

Cheers,
   - Andreas