[Vm-dev] positive32BitValueOf: fail with LargePositiveInteger

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 20:53:47 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Nicolas Cellier <

> 2010/10/9 stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at gmail.com>:
> >
> > Why do you all think that mariano is not trying to learn?
> > He is! He read all the chapters available and books on the topics.
> > Now may be tell him simply that he is an idiot.
> > This would be more efficient. But Mariano is a really smart guy so may be
> > we can also tell him to do ruby or python and we can stay in our nice
> little
> > club or we can consider that learning alone is difficult.
> >
> > Stef
> >

> Apologize to Mariano,
> Sure we got a little upset by the gap between the level of the
> question and the hard task of modifying the VM.
> But stephane is right, we all have the right to be idiot, and most of
> us are, sometimes (I recently asked a very stupid question about
> Heap).
> The spirit behind Smalltalk is not to build walls around complex
> things, and reserve the knowledge to a happy few cast, and ideally
> this should apply to the VM too (otherwise, no use to specify it in
> pseudo Smalltalk code).
>
> But Steph, you must see the good side of this community: despite the
> tone of the answers, Mariano got 3 responses driving him to the
> answer.
> In other languages I bet this would have been just RTFM.

But probably because in those other communities, there ARE manuals.
Come on, the blue book is nice, and I like it. But not everything is there
(I am not talking in particular about this problem).
And several things have changed since the blue book. We don't have OT
anymore, I think the GC is also completly different, etc.
And the documentation almost ends there....few wiki pages.
Here in my lab they are trying to bootstrap from a new image and the same
problem...the documentation is very bad.

Cheers

Mariano