[Vm-dev] libc6 requirements for Linux VM

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 03:10:18 UTC 2010

On Saturday 16 Oct 2010 3:09:02 am David T. Lewis wrote:
> For XOs and for all Etoys users, the images are not closure enabled,
> and therefore only the traditional interpreter VM (not Cog) is an
> issue at this time. Thus for the next round of VMs to be released
> (timing aligned with Squeak 4.2 release), there is no need to provide
> a Linux Cog VM compiled with the older libraries. Is this correct?
The defect has to do with any VM linked against libc6-2.7 or later running in
256MB machines with disks. It would apply to Cog VM too. The manifest behavior
is responsiveness that goes from millisecs to seconds :-( :-(. We have to make
a special version for older configurations.
> I know that there is an Etoys release being prepared right now. What
> is the timeline for finding a solution to this issue?
Unknown at present. The defect is not in Etoys but in linux kernel. The defect
is very tricky and triggers a fault only during disk i/o operations under low
memory conditions. It was tracked down only in Dec 2009. Those who are
interested in kernel and i/o scheduling may want to follow the detective trail
in http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/12/7/237 thread.

Subbu