[Vm-dev] Mark and space parity

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sat Sep 11 13:42:57 UTC 2010

I ran across a device (barcode scanner) that uses space parity and dug into vm code to see if it was indeed going to be a problem.  This is not a debate on whether or not the designers of the device could have chosen something else: clearly they should have.  The question is whether our vms should be able to communicate with it, and they should where possible.

It is not clear whether Linux even supports space parity, though there are hints that recent kernels do so.  Windows certainly does support it.  Have any of you made the required changes and had success with it?  On which operating system(s)?

Bill