[Vm-dev] RE: Mark and space parity

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sat Sep 11 18:25:16 UTC 2010

Tony,  I *almost* understand that, and greatly appreciate your reply.  Compiling a new vm is getting to be routine, mostly because I find its diagnostic output to be far less than I typically want when sorting out a problem.  Certainly the Windows vm goes out of its way to fail on valid settings and should be changed to allow parity values 3 and 4; the Linux vm might also benefit from relaxing its checks.

The interesting part is that I don't need to send to the device, only read from it.  If my notes are correct, it is 7S2.

Gary, re programming by barcode, are you thinking that I might be able to get the scanner to use different settings?  I wondered about that last night.  There is a fairly extensive book full of barcodes that I believe are for changing the scanner's behavior.  In your experience, are such changes stored in persistent store (flash, eprom, etc.), or are they transient such that they typically have to be restored each time the scanner loses power?  If I can get it to use something friendly to the vm and stay that way, that might be a good solution.

Bill