[Vm-dev] Weak finalization enh. are still not integrated into VM(s)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 13:22:22 UTC 2010

On 21 September 2010 06:20, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 03:28:35AM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> I am also uploaded a slice of system changes with new classes & rest
>> of stuff into inbox:
>>

>> CollectionsTests-Igor.Stasenko.169
>> Collections-Igor.Stasenko.370
>> Kernel-Igor.Stasenko.478
>> System-Igor.Stasenko.358
>>
>> note, that despite of these changes, system are still using old
>> WeakRegistry instance,
>> and obviously 'WeakRegistry default' needs to be modified to be
>> replaced with new functionality.
>
> These inbox changes are out of date with respect to the trunk, so
> would need to be merged with care.

Yeah, i did not updated the image before applying changesets.

> But aside from that, is there
> any reason that your changes should *not* be moved into trunk now?
> If no objections, then we should include them now.

There are a couple of doits, which should be invoked after loading changes:

WeakArray restartFinalizationProcess
and of couse
Smalltalk recreateSpecialObjectsArray

Btw, i found that in image i was using,
Smalltalk specialObjectsArray size
was 50
while in #recreateSpecialObjectsArray method there was already 55 entries
(and with weak finalization it should be 56).

> I understand that the VM changes are not yet available in the
> official VMs, but this should be corrected the next time that new
> VMs are distributed.
>
> Dave

Thanks, David.

--