[Vm-dev] Weak finalization enh. are still not integrated into VM(s)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Sep 22 03:23:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 04:22:22PM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 21 September 2010 06:20, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 03:28:35AM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> >>
> >> I am also uploaded a slice of system changes with new classes & rest
> >> of stuff into inbox:
> >>

> >> CollectionsTests-Igor.Stasenko.169
> >> Collections-Igor.Stasenko.370
> >> Kernel-Igor.Stasenko.478
> >> System-Igor.Stasenko.358
> >>
> >> note, that despite of these changes, system are still using old
> >> WeakRegistry instance,
> >> and obviously 'WeakRegistry default' needs to be modified to be
> >> replaced with new functionality.
> >
> > These inbox changes are out of date with respect to the trunk, so
> > would need to be merged with care.
>
> Yeah, i did not updated the image before applying changesets.
>
> > But aside from that, is there
> > any reason that your changes should *not* be moved into trunk now?
> > If no objections, then we should include them now.
> >

> There are a couple of doits, which should be invoked after loading changes:
>
> WeakArray restartFinalizationProcess
> and of couse
> Smalltalk recreateSpecialObjectsArray
>
> Btw, i found that in image i was using,
> Smalltalk specialObjectsArray size
> was 50
> while in #recreateSpecialObjectsArray method there was already 55 entries
> (and with weak finalization it should be 56).

This should already be updated in trunk:

	Name: System-dtl.333
	Author: dtl
	Time: 25 May 2010, 9:00:22.752 pm
	Ancestors: System-spd.332
	Update SmalltalkImage>>recreateSpecialObjectsArray for support of Alien and improved
	finalization (Mantis 7473). Corresponding VM support is in SqS/VMMaker-dtl.175.

So after a #recreateSpecialObjectsArray the size is 56, and the last slot
is used for WeakFinalizer if present in the image.

I think that everything is ready for your WeakFinalizer updates. Unless
there are any other issues, please just go ahead and commit them to trunk.

:)

Dave