[Vm-dev] Platforms Layout?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Apr 11 21:53:30 UTC 2011

On 11.04.2011, at 23:29, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am trying to understand the principle behind the layout of the directory structure of the platforms source directory of the VM.
>
> Is there some document which describes the rational behind the code organization?
>
> On the top level, I see the different platforms (Cross - for cross-platform code, win32, Mac OS, unix, etc...) which makes sense to me.
> However, when I start to look for instance into the unix folder, it starts to get, well, messy, or at least, I don't get what I see there.
>
> Why is there a src folder on the same level with a vm folder, and vm-(display|sound)-* folders?

src contains the code generated from the Smalltalk sources. It is included for bootstrapping so that users can easily build a VM from source.

It is not shared between platforms because they are not always updated at the same pace. Platforms frequently got out of sync so it was simpler to just include the generated sources in the repository.

- Bert -