[Vm-dev] About VM version string

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 11:01:50 UTC 2011

I think this depends on who is the #vmVersion inteded for. For example, if
it is for users, then I would expect to get something like Cog 1.4  Cog 2.5
I mean...who care what VMMaker/PlatformCode was used?  The user may not even
be aware of that.

Now, if it is intended for VM developers, where they need such information
for a bug for example, then I think that yes, both things are important:
VMMaker version and platoform code.

For me, just version of VMMaker is not enough. I'd rather put the
COnfigutaionOfCog version...which has no only the VMMaker version, but also
the version of all its dependencies.

In addition, I would put the SVN version (in case the platform code come
from SVN) or GIT commit hash.

Cheers

Mariano

--