[Vm-dev] [CRAZY IDEA] "Breakpoints" in the VM from SLANG

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 15:50:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 2:04 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 01:40:22PM +0200, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> >
> > So...I need to go to C, and "translate in my mind" what that part of
> SLANG
> > should look like in C, and search it in the C code. XCode is FAAAR to
> slow
> > to browe the interp.c . Morever, with inlined methods it is even more
> > difficult to find...
>
> XCode might be slow, but Squeak is fast :) Have a look at SlangBrowser
> for this. It has not been updated for either Pharo or oscog, but if
> anyone is interested maybe we can get that working too. Source is in
> the SqueakSource VMMaker project, and info at:
>
>  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5916

Thanks Dave. I wasn't aware of what SlangBrowser was...I always saw it in
the VMMaker repo but I didn't know what it was until today. Cool project. I
really like the idea.
It would be awesome to extendt it so that it can not only supports
ObjectMemory/Interpreter/Plugins  but also CompiledMethods of those classes
:)

For example,  (Interpreter >>#lookupInMethodCacheSel:class:)  asCString
that would be lovely :)

Just for the record (if you want to include it in the wiki), in order to
make it work (the asCString) I needed to first load MemoryAccess because it
is used in VMMaker class >>cCodeGenerator: aClass inCache: cache inlined:
doInlining

You can...or document that on the wiki or maybe add a Smalltalk at:   ?

Anyway, how much effort do you think it could be to adapt at least the
asCString to the new Cog versions ?    because this is a nice feature for
when you are learning

Thanks

--
Mariano