[Vm-dev] About VM version string

Stefan Marr squeak at stefan-marr.de
Tue Apr 12 16:36:55 UTC 2011

Hi:

On 12 Apr 2011, at 17:45, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Yes, I agree the detailed information needs to be something separate
> from the version string. I think that Eliot added some useful hooks
> to identify detailed version of sources with UUID strings (sorry I
> am away and cannot check on where I saw this). Possible this will
> be of some help.

Including meta infos is indeed very helpful, especially when I need to identify a binary after a few weeks and remember what the compilation settings were back then.

The RoarVM uses the following, which works quite good for my purposes:

https://github.com/smarr/RoarVM/commit/44c9669bc919937e9bdd26daf06b992be24e3189

That includes the git id of the current checkout, the path, compiler version, compilation host, and whether the code was compiled optimized.

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr