[Vm-dev] How to generate a consistent iOS and Unix VM?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Apr 20 21:02:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 08:37:05PM +0200, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am a bit lost on what the current status with the whole SqueakVM story is today.
> Do I want the SVN code base, do I want the git repo (the later would be much much more convenient to keep in sync with you...)?
>
> What I would like to do is to generate a consistent code base for the VM (preferable the standard non-Cog non-Stack interpreter).
> My target platforms are iOS (MacOSX would be nice, but iPhone/iPad are the primary target) and Unix (MacOSX,Linux).
> My goal is to get all the RoarVM plugin code and the other stuff that is not related to the VM in sync with the Squeak VM.
>
> So, how do I do that?
> More precisely, which would be the right VMMaker version for the correct code repository version?

For the standard interpreter VM, use the latest platforms sources from Subversion
www.squeakvm.org (currently at revision level 2378) and use VMMaker from SqueakSource
(http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-dtl.227.mcz as of this writing).

Esteban is the maintainer of the iOS and Mac platforms, so follow his guidance
there.

At present, Cog is built with its own branch of the VMMaker package and its
own branch of the platform sources. If you are building Cog and Stack VMs,
you should focus on those branches, and if you are building standard interpreter
VMs you should use the main branches.

In addition to the Cog development, Igor is heading up some very active
work on cross platform, automated build systems. That work as well as the
Cog development are making use of the git repository, which mirrors
the SVN repository at squeakvm.org but which presumably will contain
new and different things as well (development is quite active). Nevertheless,
you can safely rely on SVN at squeakvm.org as the canonical repository
if your work is based on the standard interpreter VM.

> I noticed that the SVN contains all the generated code for the iPhone, but it seems to be outdated and out of sync with the rest of the code base.

I am not certain of the status here, but Esteban can probably help.