[Vm-dev] Compiler Optimization in the different CMakeConfigs

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 23:25:17 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
> marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi guys. Unix and Windows confs have -O2. However, in Mac, the Carbon ones
>> have -O3 y the cocoa ones -Os.
>> As far as I know -Os is for size, so we really don't care about that
>> (unless we are in a mobile device). So, is there a reason why Unix and
>> Windows use -O2 and Mac -O3 ?  should we chage this?  which should we use?
>>

> Use what works based on testing and field experience.  I expect everything
> is there for a reason. IIABDFI (if it ain't broke don't fix it).  If you can
> produce a comprehensive stress test then you can experiment with different
> optimization levels.  If you can't you're on thin ice changing them.
>
> Further, at least in Cog the speed of the VM (as opposed to plugins) is
> much less dependent on the level of compiler optimization used since that
> has no effect on the code the Cogit generates.  BTW, often -Os gets good
> speed since compact code can often be fast code, at least in systems without
> huge inner loops where there's little opportunity for loop-unrolling and
> inlining to make much difference.  Bloated code can have poor cache
> performance.  On current processors, hugely fast relative to memory speed,
> unless you're talking about media streaming algorithms inlining and loop
> unrolling is a dubious optimization to apply.  hence I would stick with -Os
> or -O2 for the core VM and choose more aggressive settings for selected
> plugins.

Thanks Eliot for the explanations. In fact I don't have any kind of test not
experiment to check whether we should use -O2, -Os, etc. I just asked
because I saw different values for different OS and I was just curious.
So...since my knowledge is quite limited, I will let everything as it is.

Thanks again

Mariano