[Vm-dev] Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Apr 21 04:17:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 04:59:26AM +0000, squeak-dev-noreply at lists.squeakfoundation.org wrote:
> Dave Lewis uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63.mcz

> Name: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63
> Author: dtl
> Time: 20 April 2011, 10:18:02 am
> UUID: c1d30608-304c-52b7-20ca-32f7a46c1508
> Ancestors: VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62, VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61
>
> Re-save from VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62 because VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61
and VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60 were saved without correct ancestry.

> Actual ancestry:
>  VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62
>  VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61
>  VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60
>  VMMaker-oscog-dtl.59
>
> Changes included here are from:
>
> Name: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61
> A second batch of updates from VMM trunk, primarily cosmetic but also
> a class comment update and a couple of methods that had not previously
> been pragmatized in oscog.
>
> Name: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60
> These changes are methods from the main VMM branch for which <#var:#type:>
> declarations have been formatted with proper spacing. By updating these
> in the oscog branch, all of these methods are identical in both branches.
> All changes are cosmetic (no functional changes to the methods).

I give up. I cannot commit oscog updates to SqueakSource because
SqueakSource fails on the update every time (after a *long* wait for
the upload). So I save locally and copy to SqueakSource, and just end
up with a mess. The VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63 update was my attempt to
fix the problems from the failed updates yesterday, which seems to
have resulted in yet another broken update (failure on upload, no
ancestor history showing in the archive now).

I somehow managed to save VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61 and VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60
yesterday without ancestor history, which in turn leaves today's new
upload VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62 without ancestor history.
Tonight I saved a new version VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63 that is identical
to VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62, but with the ancestor version
history restored. But now the new update VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63 on
SqueakSource shows no ancestor history, although is does show the
ancestor history on my local archive.

My apologies. I don't know how I broke this and I don't know how to
fix it, but I'm out of time and out of patience so this will have to
do for now.

Speaking of out of patience, uploading a large update to SqueakSource
(i.e. anything for oscog) is simply impossible. It looks like a memory
resource problem to me (*). Double the memory allocated to whatever
process the SqueakSource server is running on, and I'll bet it starts
working fine.

(*) Moderate sized MCZ updates upload without problems (e.g. VMMaker
trunk) but large updates (from the oscog VMMaker branch) do not. A
large update proceeds normally about half the way through the progress
bar, then turns to molasses. That suggests that something is running
out of memory and is starting to swap. D'oh.