[Vm-dev] Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Apr 21 12:20:46 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 11:46:44AM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 21.04.2011, at 06:17, David T. Lewis wrote:
> >
> > I give up. I cannot commit oscog updates to SqueakSource because
> > SqueakSource fails on the update every time (after a *long* wait for
> > the upload). So I save locally and copy to SqueakSource, and just end
> > up with a mess. The VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63 update was my attempt to
> > fix the problems from the failed updates yesterday, which seems to
> > have resulted in yet another broken update (failure on upload, no
> > ancestor history showing in the archive now).
>
> MC first saves to the local package cache. It pops up the tiny blue
> version window. If anything goes wrong with the upload, you should use
> that window's "copy" button to try again.

It's a SqueakSource issue at this point, apparently related to size
of the file being uploaded. Repeating the uploads just results in
repeated failures. When doing the copy to SS, the file will eventually
arrive intact in the repository, but the progress bar in my image does
not quite reach completion, and eventually times out. Possibly I am
leaving my local system in an indeterminate state as a result.

> > I somehow managed to save VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61 and VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60
> > yesterday without ancestor history, which in turn leaves today's new
> > upload VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62 without ancestor history.
> > Tonight I saved a new version VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63 that is identical
> > to VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62, but with the ancestor version
> > history restored. But now the new update VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63 on
> > SqueakSource shows no ancestor history, although is does show the
> > ancestor history on my local archive.
> >
> > My apologies. I don't know how I broke this and I don't know how to
> > fix it, but I'm out of time and out of patience so this will have to
> > do for now.
>
> This is what the "adopt" button is for. To fix up the ancestry, delete
> your working copy (do not unload it), then adopt the real ancestor
> from the list of versions in the repository. Click "changes" to see
> if that worked and makes sense. Then save.

Thanks Bert,

How do I delete my working copy without unloading it? That must be
the step I was missing.