[Vm-dev] How to generate a consistent iOS and Unix VM?

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 14:07:31 UTC 2011

On 22 April 2011 15:24, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 22 April 2011 14:33, Stefan Marr <squeak at stefan-marr.de> wrote:
>>
>> > Again: why can't I set platformsDir to a path of my chose, which *eventually* will contain the right code? The code generation does not seem to depend on it.
>> >

>> good point.
>> The source code generator don't needs platform files.
>
> and what are the uses of #platformRootDirectory, #platformDirectory, etc ...
> why we set #platformRootDirectoryName:   in Cmake ?

because at some places it needs a directory (instance of FileDirectory)
and in another places it needs just its name (hence
platformRootDirectory vs platformRootDirectoryName etc)

>> The cmake configuration generation needs only a dir name (so it will
>> generate configs which pointing to that path).
>> But the problem is (if i remember correctly ), that i use platforms
>> path as a default anchor point , starting from which, all other
>> directories are assigned by default.
>>

> no, I think you use topDir instead.

i don't remember exactly :)

>> So, if you set only platform sources path, then you will get:
>>
>> root:
>>
>>  platforms/..
>>
>> build:
>>
>> platforms/../build
>>
>> src:
>>
>> platforms/../src
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> Therefore, since code generator writes files to src and build dirs,
>> you cannot leave platforms dir unspecified.
>>
>> But of course, when you specify all output dirs by yourself , then it
>> should not force you to use valid (existing) platforms dir anymore.
>>

> But it does.
>
> prepareVMMaker
>
>     | maker allPlugins |
>
>     "In CogVMs (in contrast to Interpreter VM) the generated sources are platform independent, therefore Cross is ok"
>     maker := VMMaker forPlatform: 'Cross'.
>
>     maker sourceDirectoryName: self srcDir.
>     maker platformRootDirectoryName: self platformsDir.

well, it needs an investigation, why VMMaker needs that dir. Most
probably it has no use anymore.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.